Request an appointment
and receive a free consultation!
Invisalign is a clear orthodontic appliance offered as an alternative to the metal and brackets of traditional braces. The clear plastic aligners are intended for people who want to keep a mature appearance as they straighten their teeth. The product was first introduced in 1999 by Align Technologies of Santa Clara, CA. Invisalign is perhaps the most popular traditional braces alternative due to the proven effectiveness of the product in clinical studies and its use by dentists and orthodontists alike.
How Invisalign Works
Invisalign uses a series of aligners that are custom-made for you. First, Dr. Boyajian takes an impression and photographs of your teeth during the initial consultation. The results are sent to the Invisalign factory and used to create a three-dimensional computer projection of how the teeth could be moved incrementally, forming the basis for developing a series of custom-made aligners designed to accomplish this movement. Once the treatment plan provided by Invisalign is approved, a plastic resin aligner is manufactured for each stage of the computer simulation.
When Dr. Boyajian receives the aligners, he will dispense them to you as each treatment phase is successfully completed to monitor the progress. The aligners must be worn in specific order for about two weeks, during which time they move the teeth in small increments of about .25 millimeters to .33 millimeters. Wearing the aligners will gradually and gently shift teeth into place, based on the exact movement Invisalign has planned out.
The average treatment time for Invisalign is about one year, provided you wear the aligners the recommended 20 to 22 hours a day. Treatment times may be longer if a more complex treatment is necessary. Typically, a patient will go through 20 to 30 aligners for both the upper and lower teeth before they get the results that both they and Dr. Boyajian are happy with.
Invisalign was created for teenagers and adults with all their adult teeth who can faithfully follow a treatment plan provided by their orthodontist. Any variance on this prescribed plan may compromise treatment success. According to the Invisalign website, the aligners can be used to correct the following dental concerns:
- Spaced Teeth. Excess teeth spacing occurs with abnormal continued growth of the jaw bone. Often times missing teeth can cause the surrounding teeth to shift due to extra space. Spaced teeth can lead to gum problems (due to lack of protection by the teeth), periodontal pockets and increased risk of periodontal disease.
- Overly Crowded Teeth. Crowded teeth occur when there is a lack of room within your jaw for all of your teeth to fit normally. If left untreated, overly crowded teeth can get worse over time. Crowded teeth can lead to plaque accumulation, tooth decay and an increased chance of gum disease.
- Crossbite. Crossbite occurs when the upper and lower jaws are both misaligned. It causes one or more upper teeth to bite on the inside of the lower teeth, and can happen on both the front and sides of the mouth. This can potentially lead to abnormal tooth wear and chipping, and periodontal problems including gum disease and bone loss.
- Underbite. Underbite occurs when the lower teeth protrude past the front teeth. It is often caused by undergrowth of the upper jaw, overgrowth of the lower jaw, or both. Sometimes it can be caused by missing upper teeth, which can prevent the normal function of front teeth or molars, and can lead to tooth wear. It can also cause painful jaw and joint problems.
- Overbite. Overbite occurs when the upper teeth bite over the lower teeth. It’s commonly caused by genetics, bad oral habits, or overdevelopment of the bone that supports the teeth. Overbite can lead to gum disease and chipped or fractured front teeth.
We invite you to call today to schedule a complimentary consultation with Dr. Boyajian, one of Beverly Hills’ premier cosmetic, general and holistic dentists. It would be our pleasure to serve you.